What is seitan? Seitan is the product of combining vital wheat gluten (a glutinous flour) with water and seasonings and cooking it to produce a savoury, chewy, protein-packed food item. Seitan has a pleasant and satiating texture. Hence it’s nickname: wheat meat.
Seitan can be made to resemble steaks, deli meats, turkey, chicken wings, you name it! It’s a versatile meat-mimicking product and it can all be made with just 3 ingredients if you wish. It’s easy to prepare (once you know some basic fundamentals) and can quickly become a weekly staple in your routine.
In this class, you’ll learn about the different preparation methods you can use to achieve a variety of textures and flavours, as well as the common mistakes people make when they attempt seitan so that you can be successful when making seitan at home!
Jack Middleton is a Red Seal Chef and a plant-based educator. He attended chef school at George Brown College and has spent most of his career in French fine dining and Italian cuisine.
At the beginning of 2016, Jack went vegan and found out very quickly how savoury and delicious vegan food can be if you know what you’re doing. In 2017 Jack started The Empowered Vegan to help teach as many people as he can how to make vegan food easy and DELICIOUS.
Jack’s workshops have an emphasis on food flavour theory, knife skills and using interesting vegan ingredients to produce dishes that match their meat-based counterparts in satiety and flavour. Whether you are a seasoned cook or a plant curious newbie, you will find Jack’s passion for plant-based cooking contagious and inspiring.
In this class you can expect (to):
- This is a demo-style class where you will be fed a multi-course tasting menu
- Learn about fundamental, ingredients and seasonings
- Learn how to prepare a series of seitan recipes
- Have an opportunity to engage with a professional vegan chef and ask questions
- Get physical and digital copies of the recipes to take home
- Burlington Goodness Me: Tuesday October 15th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- Guelph Goodness Me: Thursday October 17th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- Hamilton Goodness Me: Tuesday October 22th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- Waterloo Goodness Me: Thursday October 24th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- Mississauga Goodness Me: Tuesday October 29th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- Barrie Goodness Me: Wednesday October 30th @ 6:30-8:30pm
- COMING SOON!